Meet our Executive Team
We are entrepreneurs, innovators, executives, bankers, and community leaders.
- Steven A. Sugarman
President & Chief Executive Officer
Mr. Steven A. Sugarman is President & Chief Executive Officer of the Banc of California, Inc. (NYSE: BANC), a publicly traded financial holding company, and its national banking subsidiary Banc of California N.A. Mr. Sugarman led the recapitalization of the Company in 2010. Mr. Sugarman also is Chief Executive Officer and Director of COR Securities Holding
- Inc., the parent company of COR Clearing LLC, a broker dealer and national securities clearing firm.
Previously, Mr. Sugarman was the founder and CEO of COR Capital, LLC, and a founding Partner of GPS Partners LLC, a $2 billion private investment fund specializing in high yield equity securities. He also founded Sugarman Enterprises Inc., a financial advisory firm specializing in real estate and asset-based loans as well as the Law Offices of Steven Sugarman. Mr. Sugarman began his career as a
- management consultant at McKinsey & Company and worked at Lehman Brothers.
Mr. Sugarman is a California Real Estate Broker and member of the California State Bar. He also is the co-author of "The Forewarned Investor: Don't Get Fooled Again by Corporate Fraud," published by Career Press.
Mr. Sugarman is a graduate of the Yale Law School and Dartmouth College. He resides in Pacific Palisades, California with his wife and three children.
- Diane M. Summers
Ms. Diane Summers is SVP, Compliance for the Banc of California and its parent company, Banc of California, Inc. She oversees government regulatory compliance, audits and the bank's interaction with government examiners. Ms. Summers is a senior manager with over 20 years of banking and mortgage lending operations experience.
Prior to joining Banc of California, Ms. Summers was Division Manager in the
- Compliance Investigations Department of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).
At the FDIC, she led compliance review of 106 bank closings with aggregate assets exceeding $100 billion. She has acted as a subject matter expert in identifying and evaluating risks related to ongoing banking operations and she helped establish the FDIC's Office of Complex Financial Institutions.
While with the FDIC, Ms. Summers was twice awarded one of the agency's highest honors, the "Mission Achievement Award," for her superior efforts in managing bank
- closings as well as helping establish the Office of Complex Financial Institutions. She is also credited with spearheading increased efficiencies at the FDIC through the design of an online toolbox for depository claim management, which was implemented nationwide.
In her spare time, Ms. Summers and her husband enjoy kayaking, water skiing and scuba diving. She also enjoys playing basketball. Ms. Summers received a Bachelor of Science in Finance degree from San Diego State University and an MBA from Pepperdine University.
- J. Francisco A. Turner
EVP, Corporate Strategy
Mr. J. Francisco A. Turner is EVP, Corporate Strategy, for the Banc of California. He is responsible for leading Banc of California's partnerships with Financial Institutions, Registered Investment Advisors, Broker/Dealers, Family Offices, Asset Managers, Hedge Funds, Private Equity Firms, as well as high net worth individuals throughout the United States in providing comprehensive and customized lending, liquidity and cash solutions.
- Mr. Turner has over 20 years experience both domestically and overseas in institutional banking, private equity, investment banking and real estate development. Prior to joining Banc of California, Mr. Turner was the head and managing director of Institutional Banking for The Bancorp Bank, with total assets of $3.8 billion and more than 300 private-label affinity partner programs globally, representing over $1 trillion in assets.
Mr. Turner also led business development and served on the Board of Directors for Transact Network, which was acquired by The Bancorp Bank. Previously, Mr. Turner managed private assets and was a founder and the Chairman and Director of Finance
- of a privately held real estate development company in Europe.
Mr. Turner was also an investment professional with Spectrum Equity Investors, a private equity firm managing $4.7 billion of capital and an Associate and Analyst with the investment bank, Bank of America Robertson Stephens, focused on Corporate Finance and Merger and Acquisitions.
Mr. Turner received an A.B. degree in Romance Languages from Harvard University. He is a competitively ranked padel player in the U.S., trained for the Olympics in track and field and is the father of two daughters.
- Gilda Youdeem
EVP, Enterprise Risk Analytics
Ms. Gilda Youdeem is EVP, Enterprise Risk Analytics for Banc of California. She is responsible for short and long-term financial planning for the bank and holding company. Her responsibilities include merger and acquisition analysis, forecasting and budgeting.
As the risk management executive, Ms. Youdeem has significant multi-industry experience guiding companies to greater
- growth and profitability through strategic and tactical planning, technology implementation, managing costs and talent development.
Prior to joining the bank in 2013, she was a Senior Financial Management Analyst for the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). At the FDIC her work focused on resolving issues at failed financial institutions, paying insured depositors and managing receiverships.
With 28 years experience in the banking and real estate investment industries, Ms. Youdeem's prior positions include Vice
- President, Corporate Finance at Knowledge Learning Corporation; Senior Vice President, Corporate Financial Planning and Analysis at New Century Financial Corporation; Sr. Vice President, Financial Planning and Analysis at ACC Capital Holdings Corporation, and Vice President, Strategic Planning and Business Development at The Picerne Group.
Ms. Youdeem received a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration/ Finance from Chapman University. She is an avid backyard gardener, who also enjoys long hikes along ocean trails and reading a variety of well-known fiction authors.
- Jeffrey T. Seabold
Chief Banking Officer
Mr. Jeffrey T. Seabold is Chief Banking Officer at the Banc of California. He has extensive experience in the mortgage banking and real estate finance industry.
A successful entrepreneur, Mr. Seabold founded CS Financial Inc., a leading national residential and commercial mortgage banking firm, where he also served as CEO and President. He also
- is founder of Camden Escrow, a licensed real estate settlement service provider. In 2007, Mr. Seabold co-founded Camden Capital Partners LLC, which manages the Camden Real Estate Opportunity Fund LLC, an asset-based lend and loan servicer.
Mr. Seabold attended the University of California, Santa Barbara. He has served as board chair of Habitat for Humanity, Los Angeles, is a current board member of the Santa Monica Symphony, a member of Young Presidents Organization, Los Angeles Chapter, the Milken Institute and the Mortgage Bankers Association.
- A native Californian, Mr. Seabold currently lives in Santa Monica with his wife and two children.
- Richard A. Smith
EVP, Private Banking
Mr. Richard A. Smith is EVP, Private Banking for the Banc of California. Mr. Smith joined the bank following its acquisition of The Private Bank of California where he served as its president. Mr. Smith co-founded The Private Bank of California in 2005 after spending his entire career in the banking industry.
- Mr. Smith has worked for banks on the East and West Coasts while gaining a wealth of knowledge on private banking, business management, entertainment and middle market banking. Some of that experience was gained while holding senior management positions at Comerica Bank and Imperial Bank. At both banks Mr. Smith was the repeated winner of the President’s Club Award for sales and service.
His philanthropic endeavors include mentoring students to help them and their
- parents understand the need to finish high school and attend college.
Mr. Smith graduated from the University of Denver with a bachelor degree in marketing and finance. He and his wife have two children (son and daughter) and four grandchildren.
- Ronald J. Nicolas Jr.
Chief Financial Officer
Mr. Ronald J. Nicolas is Chief Financial Officer of Banc of California with responsibility for the day-to-day management, oversight and control of the bank's treasury and finance functions. He is also a member of the executive committee of the parent company, Banc of California, Inc.
He brings over 25 years of senior financial executive leadership experience—
- with over 15 years as a CFO—to Banc of California. Prior to joining Banc of California, he was Executive Vice President & CFO of Carrington Holding Company. He has previously held senior executive leadership roles with Residential Credit Holdings LLC, Fremont Investment and Loan, and AAMES Investment/Financial Corporation. From 1994 to 2001 he served in positions of increasing responsibility at KeyCorp, including Executive Vice President & Group Finance Executive with responsibility for $15 billion in assets.
Mr. Nicolas is well respected within the financial services sector,
- having successfully led IPOs, capital raising and debt restructuring initiatives. He is an expert in SEC regulatory filings and disclosures as well as SOX implementation and compliance.
Mr. Nicolas earned a master's degree in business administration and a bachelor's degree in finance from Canisius College in Buffalo, NY. He enjoys biking, hiking and playing tennis with his wife and two adult children.
- Fred Mahintorabi
EVP, Corporate Finance
Mr. Fred Mahintorabi is EVP, Corporate Finance for the Banc of California. Mr. Mahintorabi joined the bank after serving as Senior Vice President, Corporate Finance at Carrington Mortgage Holdings, LLC, where he oversaw financial
- planning and forecasting for 14 operating companies.
Throughout his over 20-year career, Mr. Mahintorabi has been responsible for enterprise-wide financial planning, forecasting, projections, P&L oversight and providing support for material transactions. He has held Senior Vice President positions at CapitalSource Bank, Fremont Investment & Loan, Aames Investment
- Corporation and Great Western Bank.
Mr. Mahintorabi graduated from Cal Poly, Pomona with a B.S. degree in Business Administration. He is a private pilot and enjoys spending time outdoors with his wife and three children.
- Farah Ansari
SVP, Private Banking Operations
Farah Ansari manages a portfolio consisting of both Private and Entertainment clients as well as various departments within the division.
Ms. Ansari has extensive experience in private banking and relationship
- management. Prior to joining the Banc of California, she was Senior Vice President at The Private Bank of California and Private Banking Officer at HSBC Private Bank.
She began her career at HSBC bank where she was selected to be a part of the international Executive training program. She speaks multiple languages including French, Arabic, Kashmiri, Hindi, Punjab, and Urdu.
- She received a Bachelors of Science Degree in Business Administration from the State University of New York at Buffalo.
Ms. Ansari is married with a son. She enjoys cooking and traveling and is also a video gamer.
- Zoila Price
Managing Director, Warehouse Lending
Ms. Zoila Price is Managing Director, Warehouse Lending for Banc of California. She has 26 years of banking experience in retail, wholesale, correspondent lending, mortgage warehouse lending and real
- estate loss mitigation. As head of Warehouse Lending, Ms. Price oversees the warehouse lending platform of Banc of California providing repurchase facilities for residential and commercial lenders nationwide.
Prior to Banc of California, Ms. Price was President and CEO of Optal Companies, Senior Vice President of Lehman Warehouse Lending Division, President
- and CEO of Imperial Warehouse Finance, Inc., and Senior Vice President with Impac Warehouse Lending Group.
Ms. Price and her husband reside in Newport Beach.
- Matthew A. March
Chief Information & Administrative Officer
Matthew March serves as both the Chief Information Officer and Chief Administrative Officer for the Banc of California. As Chief Information Officer, he is responsible for systems and technology, process automation, information management, enterprise data warehouse development and operational analytics. As Chief Administrative Officer, he oversees the Shared Services division of the company,
- which includes Central Operations, Facilities, Human Resources, Marketing, and Project Management.
Mr. March has more than 25 years of experience as an information technology professional with experience creating and delivering effective technology solutions across multiple industries. Most recently, Mr. March was Chief Technology Officer and Senior Vice President, Information Technology for Carrington Mortgage Holdings, LLC. Prior to that, he was Vice President, Business Intelligence at IMPAC Companies, a mortgage real estate investment trust. He has also provided consulting services to many businesses nationwide.
- Since 2001, Mr. March has been a member of the Data Warehouse Institute, served on their Executive Counsel and lectured at seminars as well as authored several case studies. He is also a member of the Project Management Institute and the Microsoft Business Intelligence User Group.
Mr. March attended California State University, Chico and studied computer science. He is an avid sailor, chess player and enjoys playing the guitar.
- Gary S. Dunn
SVP, Community Development
Mr. Gary Dunn serves as SVP, Community Development for Banc of California. Mr. Dunn has over 35 years of experience in the financial services industry. As the CDO, he designs, implements, manages and documents a comprehensive CRA program that incorporates formulating policies and procedures that best serve the credit needs of the company's assessment areas.
- Mr. Dunn's community and civic involvements include service as a member of the board of directors for Clearinghouse CDFI, Junior Achievement of Southern California, NeighborWorks of Orange County (Board President), Affordable Housing Clearinghouse (Board Vice President), Bankers Small Business CDC of San Diego (Board Treasurer), Mary Erickson Community Housing (Board President) and Small Business Financial Development Corporation of Orange County (Board President). He has been recognized with many awards and commendations for his community service.
- He is credited as the first California banker to design and implement a financial literacy program and deliver it to underserved communities through a network of bank branch manager volunteers. He has previously held senior level positions with CapitalSource Bank (formerly Fremont Investment & Loan), FiBanc Financial Services and Associates Financial Services.
In his spare time, Mr. Dunn enjoys spending time with his wife, their son and his grandson. He enjoys boating, golfing and traveling in his recreational vehicle.
- Jeffery Rose
SVP, Credit Review
Mr. Jeffery Rose is SVP, Credit Review for the Banc of California. His responsibilities include management and oversight of the independent Credit Review function for the Bank. Credit review independently assesses credit risk management processes and educates and informs management.
Mr. Rose brings 37 years of financial services experience. He has held
- leadership roles with Fortune 500 financial institutions where he led the growth and development of several commercial and retail banking divisions, identified risk and made successful recommendations in response to changing market conditions.
Prior to joining Banc of California, Mr. Rose spent six years providing credit and regulatory advice to clients across the U.S. as a Managing Director at Alvarez & Marsal Financial Industry Regulatory Advisory Services in Houston. He served as Regional Vice President for Wells Fargo Commercial Banking and Senior Vice President Retail Banking at Texas Commerce Bank now
- JP Morgan Chase. He began his career with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.
Mr. Rose received a Bachelor of Commerce from Rice University. He has served as a National Board Member of the Humane Society of America, Rice University and Baylor St. Luke’s Hospital.
In his spare time he enjoys family, playing golf, reading and being Grandpa.
- Thedora Nickel
Ms. Thedora Nickel is EVP, Operations for Banc of California. She is responsible for the strategic direction and management of the Operations Division and Treasury Management Services. Ms. Nickel has over 25 years of banking experience leading client focused service teams and large scale domestic and international operations.
- Ms. Nickel most recently served as Senior Vice President, Group Operations Executive at Bank of America where she directed and managed national research, resolution and reconcilement functions in support of the bank's 5,200 bank centers capture sites and cash vaults.
Earlier in her career at Bank of America, Ms. Nickel managed West Region Operations, Treasury Management Customer Service and the Los Angeles Region's – Global Client Services.
- Ms. Nickel is Six Sigma Green Belt, Champion and Process Excellence certified. In her spare time, Ms. Nickel mentors MBA students at the University of California, Irvine and volunteers for the Council on Aging. She is also a board advisor for Rocket Science Tutors which engages middle school students in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) programs. Ms. Nickel is married with three children.
- Mike Kwon
SVP, Financial Reporting
Mr. Mike Kwon is SVP, Financial Reporting for the Banc of California. Mr. Kwon is responsible for preparing and directing the SEC, OCC, and Federal Reserve Bank financial reporting for the bank. He ensures compliance with established Banc of California policies and procedures, as well as state and federal regulations and GAAP compliance.
- Prior to joining Banc of California, Mr. Kwon was First Vice President and Controller at Hanmi Financial Corporation, where he was responsible for accounting and treasury processes and controls, internal and external financial reporting, forecasting and budgeting, GAAP compliance, accounts payable process, asset/liability and liquidity management, and investment portfolio management.
With over 12 years of experience in banking and accounting, Mr. Kwon’s prior positions also include Vice President and Accounting
- Officer at Mirae Bank, Assistant Vice President and Accounting Officer at Hanmi Bank, and Accounting Officer at Pacific Union Bank.
Mr. Kwon received a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Business Administration from California State University Fullerton. He is married and enjoys golf and photography.
- Sima Parsa
SVP, Corporate Real Estate and Procurement
Ms. Sima Parsa leads Corporate Real Estate and Procurement at the Banc of California. Her primary responsibilities include corporate real estate development, acquisition and disposition of more than 100 locations, and procurement. Ms. Parsa has extensive experience in global
- corporate real estate, facilities management, procurement, international supply chain management and outsourcing, publications and logistics services.
Ms. Parsa joined Banc of California after serving as Senior Vice President of Corporate Real Estate and Procurement at CapitalSource Bank, where she oversaw real estate and procurement functions nationwide. She was a Senior Director at MicroStrategy, a provider of business intelligence, managing worldwide
- corporate real estate and administration services in 24 countries. She also held a position at Software AG, an international data management firm.
Ms. Parsa received an MBA degree from Marymount University. She lives in Newport Beach and enjoys outdoor activities and traveling overseas.
- Daisy S. Garcia
VP, Deposit Operations Manager
Ms. Daisy Siu Garcia is VP, Deposit Operations Manager for the Banc of California. She is responsible for designing, documenting, tracking and auditing process flows within
- the Central Operations of the bank, as well as leading process improvement efforts to ensure efficiencies are identified and implemented.
She has spent her entire career with Banc of California, starting as a Customer Service Representative and becoming a Vice President. Her experience includes
- managing all aspects of the bank’s central operations, retail banking, treasury management and a key player in mergers and acquisitions.
Ms. Garcia graduated from San Diego State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Management. She is married with two daughters and practices yoga.
- John C. Grosvenor
Mr. John C. Grosvenor is General Counsel of Banc of California, with responsibility for managing the company’s legal and regulatory affairs. He brings decades of experience to the company from working for a “startup” to 12 years as a corporate securities and financial services partner at the Manatt, Phelps & Phillips law firm. While at Manatt, Mr. Grosvenor specialized
- in capital market transactions, representing underwriters and issuers including commercial banks, specialty finance companies and mortgage REITs.
Mr. Grosvenor’s entrepreneurial spirit includes starting and growing law firms as well as a start-up business deploying wireless and wireline broadband interactive information and services over telecommunications facilities. The start-up later became a subsidiary of Verizon Corp. Prior to that, he held a variety of positions with other law firms, a movie studio and a savings and loan company.
- Mr. Grosvenor has authored numerous articles concerning matters of interest to financial services companies and, and he has spoken frequently before industry groups, including the California Bankers Association and the Western Independent Bankers Association.
Mr. Grosvenor earned his B.A. from UCLA, his J.D. from Loyola Law School in Los Angeles and a LL.M in Taxation from the George Washington University National Law Center. He is a member of the bars of both California and Washington D.C.
- Mimi Tran
VP, Deposit Operations Manager
Ms. Mimi Tran is VP, Deposit Operations Manager for the Banc of California. She has nearly two decades of banking experience. In her position, Ms. Tran has responsibility for daily settlements
- & reconciliation which includes FRB/ ATM/ACH and Debit Card activity management.
Before joining Banc of California, Ms. Tran worked at Bank of America gaining experience in deposit services, disaster recovery operational efficiencies, and customer care.
- Ms. Tran received a Bachelor of Science in Business Marketing from California State University, Los Angeles. She volunteers as a Junior Achievement coordinator, as well as with the Diabetes Walk, United Way and the Food Bank. Ms. Tran is married and has two children. She enjoys family night watching movies or listening to music.
- Hugh F. Boyle
Chief Risk Officer
Mr. Hugh F. Boyle is Chief Risk Officer for Banc of California and responsible for managing the bank and parent company's risk management infrastructure in concert with the Board of Directors and executive management. He is responsible for credit, liquidity, market and operational risk at the bank.
A thirty-year industry veteran, Mr. Boyle has held a variety of positions in investment and
- commercial banking, both in domestic and international markets and he also has a deep background in commercial, consumer and residential mortgage lending.
Most recently, he was Chief Risk Officer at Flagstar Bank in Troy, Michigan, a $13 billion financial institution with 111 branches throughout the state plus bank owned home loan origination centers throughout the United States.
Previous to Flagstar Bank, Mr. Boyle served as Chief Risk Officer for CIBC FirstCaribbean international Bank,
- headquartered in Barbados, British West Indies. The $12 billion bank operates in 17 countries.
Mr. Boyle has also been a banking and risk management consultant and Chief Risk Officer at Washington Mutual, Inc. He joined Washington Mutual following a career in investment banking, which included positions at Lehman Brothers, Inc. and Goldman Sachs & Co.
Married with three teenagers, he is an avid scuba diver.
- Gaylin D. Anderson
EVP, Retail Banking
Mr. Gaylin D. Anderson is EVP, Retail Banking of Banc of California. He oversees the expansion of bank branches throughout California, focusing on a new model of banking that provides services to the most sophisticated businesses and entrepreneurs in the state.
- An innovative leader with more than 18 years in the financial services and banking industries, Mr. Anderson has a proven record in sales, banking operations, product development, marketing incentive and performance management. He served as Senior Vice President of Consumer Branch Performance at US Bank in Los Angeles and Director of Retail Banking at California National Bank.
Mr. Anderson held executive management positions for CitiBank, N.A. and California Federal Bank where he helped transform
- Cal Fed into one of the most well regarded sales and services providers in the industry.
Mr. Anderson attended the University of Utah, and has served in leadership roles with the March of Dimes, Junior Achievement and the United Way of Los Angeles. Mr. Anderson is married and has two children.
- Angelee J. Harris
EVP, Bank General Counsel
Ms. Angelee J. Harris is EVP, Bank General Counsel for the Banc of California. She is primarily responsible for providing advice on corporate securities matters, mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance.
Ms. Harris is a highly credentialed corporate attorney with expertise in corporate securities, M&A and bank
- operations and a track record of success in managing in-house responsibilities of a publicly traded bank holding company. Ms. Harris was a partner and associate with the law firm of Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP for more than 11 years where she represented public and private companies in connection with mergers and acquisitions, capital market transactions and corporate governance. Additionally, for a period of three years prior to its acquisition, Ms. Harris acted as Executive Vice President and General Counsel of the publicly traded company Placer Sierra Bancshares, the holding company of a commercial bank with
- more than $2 billion in assets. Ms. Harris has more than 14 years’ experience as a senior counselor and business partner and is adept at providing practical legal advice and identifying potential legal risks.
Ms. Harris earned her B.A. from Brigham Young University and her J.D. from University of Utah. She is licensed to practice in both California and Utah.
- Stephen M. Kirch
EVP, TPG Chief Executive Officer
Mr. Stephen M. Kirch is President of The Palisades Group, a wholly owned subsidiary of Banc of California. Inc. Banc of California acquired The Palisades Group, LLC which Mr. Kirch founded and where he served as its Chief Executive Officer.
- Palisades Group is a registered investment adviser that provides financial advisory and asset management services on residential mortgage loans.
Mr. Kirch continues to advise clients on the acquisition, management and disposition of residential mortgage whole loans. During a 32-year career he has worked at several investment firms focusing on residential and commercial mortgage backed securities trading.
- Mr. Kirch also co-founded Bond Direct Securities, LLC., until its sale to Jefferies & Company.
Mr. Kirch serves on the advisory board of Riviera Country Club.
- Raquel Gillett
SVP, Financial Controls
Ms. Raquel Gillett is SVP, Financial Controls for the Banc of California. Ms. Gillett is tasked with moving the bank through institution-wide changes that can encompass new processes, systems, organizational structures and job roles.
In a 20 year banking career, Ms. Gillett has held a number of senior leadership
- positions and led a number of business process improvement initiatives. Prior to her current position, Ms. Gillett was Vice President, Business Intelligence at Pacific Trust Bank. Her duties there included market analysis, identifying new business opportunities and identifying cost savings measures.
Other previous senior banking positions included Vice President, Risk Manager at US Bank, and Assistant Vice President, Program Analyst at Southern Pacific Bank. At Southern Pacific Bank, Ms. Gillett held senior positions in portfolio management
- and loan servicing departments. Early in her career she worked at Mortgage Capital Group and was responsible for managing foreclosure activities.
Ms. Gillett volunteers as a mentor to students at West Los Angeles City College and for LA Team Mentoring, where she teaches financial literacy to middle school students who live in challenging urban environments. She is attending California State University, Long Beach and pursuing a degree in accounting.
- Cynthia L. Abercrombie
EVP, Deputy Chief Risk Officer
Ms. Cynthia L. Abercrombie is EVP, Deputy Chief Risk Officer for the Banc of California. Ms. Abercrombie has more than 40 years of credit risk management experience in the banking industry.
She is responsible for managing the assessment of governance and enterprise risk which includes credit risk, credit quality and regulatory compliance in the bank's lending portfolio.
- She has served a variety of roles ranging from credit risk management consultant with Deloitte & Touche Bank Services Group, to Executive Vice President of Sales and Banking Operations of a community bank. Her most recent position was Director of Internal Credit Review and Compliance at First Community Bank in Sugar Land, Texas.
Ms. Abercrombie also has experience in the disposal of troubled assets having worked for the U.S. Office of Thrift Supervision. Her work included leadership of the credit forensic analysis team for the U.S. Office of the Comptroller of Currency and U.S. Department of Justice.
- Ms. Abercrombie is a graduate of the University of California, Berkeley where she received a degree in Business Administration. She is married with four children and six grandchildren. In her spare time, she enjoys writing children's stories, needlepoint and hand sewing.
- Ken Plummer
Mr. Ken Plummer is SVP, Technology for the Banc of California. He is primarily responsible for the Information Technology Operations division of the bank, which includes IT infrastructure, Network & Telephony, IT System Services, IT Compliance & Security, and Banking Application Support.
As the Chief Technology Officer, Mr. Plummer specializes in the implementation
- of enterprise caliber Information Technology environments with an emphasis on standards and efficiency.
Prior to joining Banc of California, he was a Program Management Senior Advisor with Dell Computing Services, where he managed the infrastructure build-and-program migration of all IT services for the Managed Services implementation of CoreLogic Corp.
With 30 years of experience as an Information Technology professional, Mr. Plummer’s prior positions include Senior Product Manager and Director at Carrington Mortgage Holdings, Senior Project Manager
- at Option One Mortgage, General Manager at Scura Speed & Technology, VP Information Technology at HNC, and Senior IT Manager at NCR Corp.
Mr. Plummer studied computer science at UCLA and is a graduate and certified Project Management instructor at the Crosby Quality Project Management Institute. He enjoys cycling and has been a martial arts instructor for 35 years.
- Manisha K. Merchant
SVP, Assistant General Counsel
Ms. Manisha K. Merchant is SVP, Assistant General Counsel for Banc of California with responsibility for general banking operations, employment law, regulatory compliance and litigation.
As part of a team of senior attorneys, Ms. Merchant has also worked with her colleagues on lending matters, merger and acquisition deals, vendor contracts, and reviewing policies and procedures.
- Before joining the Banc of California Ms. Merchant was Vice President and Senior Counsel at Union Bank for five years. She provided support to the retail banking network, including retail product development and consumer deposit operations. She also worked with business units to ensure compliance with new and existing regulations.
Ms. Merchant also worked at Washington Mutual Bank as First Vice President and Senior Counsel, and Wachovia Bank as an Assistant Vice President and Associate General Counsel. At each bank she developed expertise in deposit products and bank operations.
- Ms. Merchant is active in the community serving on several non-profit board of director. These activities include the Pratham USA, Los Angeles Chapter, a charity that supplements the education for children in India. Other boards include the Asian AmericansAdvancing Justice – LA and the Association of Corporate Counsel.
Ms. Merchant received a BA Degree in Criminology, Law and Society from the University of California, Irvine. She went on to graduate with an MBA in Finance and a law degree from the University of Connecticut.
Ms. Merchant is married and has a daughter. Away from work she enjoys spending time with her family and traveling.
- Jeff Garavanian
Portfolio Manager, Private Banking
Mr. Jeff Garavanian is Portfolio Manager in Private Banking for the Banc of California, where he is responsible for cultivating and managing lending relationships for high net worth clients. He has more than 25 years of experience in relationship management, both in private and commercial banking.
Prior to joining Banc of California in 2013, Mr. Garavanian served as a Vice President
- and Relationship Manager at 1st Enterprise Bank and at Community Bank where he developed and managed business relationships with middle market companies.
Mr. Garavanian relocated to Los Angeles with Mellon 1st Business Bank after working for many years in private banking at BNY Mellon in Boston. Prior to Mellon, he worked at Fleet Bank in Boston where he completed his formal credit training and specialized in healthcare and non-profit lending.
- Mr. Garavanian received a Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst and a Masters of Finance from Boston College. Although Mr. Garavanian is a Boston native, he has made Los Angeles his home. In his spare time he enjoys time with his large family, staying involved in his community, and health and fitness activities.
- John F. Madden Jr.
EVP, BHL General Counsel
Mr. John F. Madden, Jr. is EVP, BHL General Counsel for Banc of California. He is an accomplished general counsel with more than 28 years experience and expertise in corporate and securities law.
Mr. Madden has responsibility for providing legal services to the bank’s residential and commercial lending division.
- He most recently served as Executive Vice President and General Counsel at Pacific Mercantile Bank, a community bank with more than $1 billion in assets. Mr. Madden also previously served as General Counsel for Value Home Auctions, Inc. where he handled all legal issues including litigation, contracts and human resources. Other positions include Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary for AAMES Investment Corporation and Funders Mortgage Corporation.
- Mr. Madden received his law degree from the University of Chicago Law School and graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Carleton College with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science.
Mr. Madden is married with two children in college. He enjoys playing chess and watching college football and basketball games.
- Janet Hargreaves
SVP, Business Intelligence
Ms. Janet Hargreaves is SVP, Business Intelligence at the Banc of California. Ms. Hargreaves is responsible for the day to day operations of the Business Intelligence team that transforms raw data into meaningful and actionable information leveraged by Banc of California. Her area of expertise includes data warehouse
- design, developing automated Business Intelligence solutions including dashboards, operational reporting and analytics.
Prior to joining Banc of California, Ms. Hargreaves has nearly 15 years of experience in the business intelligence field at Carrington Mortgage Holdings, American Home Mortgage Servicing and Option One Mortgage. She is a member of the Data Warehouse Institute and the Microsoft Business Intelligence User Group.
- Ms. Hargreaves earned a B.A. in Management Information Systems from California State University Fullerton. She is also an active volunteer for the Banc of California Financial Literacy Program with Los Angeles Team Mentoring and the LA Conservation Corps.
Ms. Hargreaves is married with three sons. In her spare time, she enjoys swimming, yoga and paddle boarding.
- Xuan Wu
VP, Deposit Operations Manager
Ms. Xuan Wu is VP, Deposit Operations Manager at the Banc of California. Her key functions include overseeing wire transfers, research, returns and exceptions, while ensuring employees maintain a strong focus on solving customer needs. Ms. Wu
- brings over 35 years of finance and banking experience to Banc of California.
Most recently, she served as Senior Vice President and West Region Manager, Client Research & Resolution Services at Bank of America. She has held other senior positions with Bank of America, overseeing mortgage call enters, dealer financial services as well as regional market sales and services.
- Ms. Wu is Six Sixma Green Belt Certified and attended School of Mortgage Banking in Dallas. She has received the “Women of Achievement – Recognition of Excellence” award from the YWCA of San Gabriel Valley and the “Award of Merit” from the City of Los Angeles. Her interests include interior design, music, gardening and travelling with her son.
- Neal Mendelsohn
Chief Brand Officer
Mr. Neal Mendelsohn is Chief Brand Officer for the Banc of California. His responsibilities are to oversee the bank's strategic branding and advertising initiatives, and to manage creative services in partnership with client services and digital marketing. He brings to Banc of California the experience of a successful entrepreneur having founded two advertising agencies during his career.
- Mr. Mendelsohn has created an "agency environment" within the creative services department to help grow the bank. As an entrepreneur, his agency client roster included the fastest growing bank in the U.S. as well as clients in the categories of healthcare, education, technology, banking and finance. Prior to joining Banc of California, he was the Chief Marketing Officer for CS Financial in Beverly Hills, California.
- Mr. Mendelsohn and his wife have two sons, and are active supporters of WISH Charter School in Los Angeles, where he serves on the school's Advisory Board. He also serves on the Communications Advisory Board of Jewish Vocational Services. Mr. Mendelsohn is a graduate of the University of California, San Diego.
- Rachel Carrillo
VP, Retail Operations
Ms. Rachel M. Carrillo is VP, Retail Operations for the Banc of California. In this role, Ms. Carrillo oversees the operation and administration of all bank branches, including daily oversight of branch
- operations, policy administration, deposit transaction services, new product testing and implementation and disaster recovery.
Her career spans nearly 25 years with Banc of California and its predecessor banks, including Rohr Federal Credit Union, Pacific Trust Federal Credit Union, and Pactrust Bank. Ms. Carrillo has held various management positions, ranging from Loan Officer, Call Center Manager, Assistant Vice President and Manager of Consumer
- Lending as well as Vice President and Branch Manager of the bank’s flagship office.
Ms. Carrillo frequently volunteers for Junior Achievement. She attended the University of California, San Diego, and she is married with two children one of whom is a U.S. Marine. Ms. Carrillo enjoys spending time traveling with her high school daughter’s club soccer team.
- Billie J. Tanabe
SVP, Mortgage Banking Credit Administration
Ms. Billie J. Tanabe is SVP, Mortgage Banking Credit Administration for the Banc of California. Ms. Tanabe has nearly 50 years of experience in the banking industry with expertise ranging from
- information and application programming to residential and consumer lending portfolio management.
Ms. Tanabe is responsible for all credit quality and credit administration functions within the Residential Lending Division.
She has been chief credit officer and consumer credit administrator for PacTrust Bank; Vice President, SAG Operations
- Manager at US Bank; Vice President, Retail Lending Manager, Vice President, Retirement Services and Call Center Management at CalNational Bank and Senior Vice President, Credit Products at Fidelity Bank.
Ms. Tanabe is married with three adult children and one grandchild. She enjoys spending time with her family and going to baseball games.
- Jim Fraser
Managing Director, Construction Lending
Jim Fraser is Managing Director, Construction Lending for the Banc of California. He and his team are responsible for growing opportunities throughout the United States in home improvement and new home construction markets.
Prior to joining the bank, Fraser was chief
- executive and co-founder of RenovationReady, a lender service provider serving U.S. banks and mortgage bankers in FHA and FNMA renovation lending programs. RenovationReady, now a part of Banc of California, will continue to provide specialized loans services under the guidance of Mr. Fraser and his team.
Mr. Fraser's prior experience includes being co-founder and principal at Sabal Financial, formerly Milestone Asset Resolution Company. For 12 years, Mr. Fraser was also CEO and senior executive
- manager of consumer construction at IndyMac Bank where he was retained by the FDIC as a conservator. He also worked at San Marino Mortgage Corporation and the Pasadena Redevelopment Agency.
Mr. Fraser earned a B.S. degree from the School of Architecture and Environmental Design at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo. He enjoys playing golf and running. He and his wife have two sons.
- Robert Villaneda
Mr. Robert Villaneda is VP, Operations for the Banc of California. He brings nearly 25 years of experience in the financial services sector. At the bank, he leads the Operations Business Support team whose primary responsibility is quality control, reporting, analytics and process improvement for the Deposit Operations segment.
- Mr. Villaneda is also responsible for managing the customer call center which handles all customer inquiries regarding business and personal bank accounts.
Prior to joining Banc of California, Mr. Villaneda was Senior Vice President, Consumer Market Manager at Bank of America, where he oversaw 12 banking centers serving 106,000 retail, preferred and small business households in Los Angeles County. While at Bank of America,
- Mr. Villaneda held numerous Operations Management roles and led the call center supporting Small Business and Consumer Credit Card customers.
Mr. Villaneda enjoys hiking and spending time with his nieces and nephews and traveling throughout California and Mexico.
- Timothy R. Sedabres
SVP, Investor Relations
Mr. Timothy R. Sedabres is SVP, Investor Relations at the Banc of California. He brings approximately 10 years of experience within the banking sector.
- Mr. Sedabres has responsibility for leading the development of the company’s financial communications strategy with investors and shareholders. Mr. Sedabres joined the company after serving as VP of Finance at Associated Banc-Corp, where he held leadership positions within finance and corporate treasury. Mr. Sedabres has been responsible for investor relations,
- enterprise-wide stress testing, and capital planning in addition to experience in corporate strategic planning.
Mr. Sedabres holds a Master's Degree in business administration from Saint Louis University and a Bachelor's Degree in finance from Bradley University in Peoria, IL. He is married and enjoys traveling with his wife.
- Julie Duong
SVP, Loan Operations
Ms. Julie Duong is SVP, Loan Operations at the Banc of California. She has more than 25 years of experience in mortgage banking. She oversees Residential Loan Servicing, Commercial
- Loan Servicing, Loan Records Management and Commercial Notes/Documentation.
Prior to joining the bank, she served as Senior Vice President, Mortgage Operations for CS Financial, which was acquired by Banc of California in 2013. Ms. Duong also served as President and CEO of a start-up firm, Customer Service REO Asset Management that worked with banks
- and other financial institutions on the disposition of distressed properties.
Ms. Duong was the founding chair of the Asian Real Estate Association of America (AREAA), Silicon Valley Chapter. She attended Santa Clara University, and in her spare time, Ms. Duong enjoys spending time with her daughter.
- Thomas Senske
Managing Director, CRE Lending
Mr. Tom Senske is Managing Director, CRE Lending for Banc of California. Mr. Senske and his team help the bank deliver on its mission to become California's bank of choice for private commercial, multifamily property owners and developers.
- Previously, he served as Senior Vice President, Income Property Banking at Opus Bank where he grew total multifamily and commercial loan origination by $1 billion during his three years at the bank. Mr. Senske also served as Vice President in the Commercial Real Estate Lending Division at Washington Mutual/J.P. Morgan Chase. He started his career at American Savings.
- He attended California State University, Long Beach and is currently enrolled in a BSM/MBA program at Pepperdine University. Mr. Senske enjoys spending time with his teenage son and daughter and watching them play in basketball and volleyball tournaments. Mr. Senske is an avid golfer.
- Samantha Haugh
Samantha Haugh serves as SVP Marketing for the Banc of California. Ms. Haugh is responsible for guiding and managing the marketing team in developing best-in-class, revenue-generating strategies and tactics for the bank’s divisions and business units. Ms. Haugh has over twenty years of experience in all facets of marketing including traditional and online campaign development, marketing automation and analytics, budgeting/forecasting, and teambuilding.
- Most recently, Ms. Haugh was Director of Digital Marketing at Experian, where she was responsible for forming a dedicated digital marketing team focused on driving content, lead generation and engagement, enhancing the brand’s reputation, and expanding growth in business and sales channels to meet fiscal year goals. Prior to that, she worked at Citi and focused on developing, implementing and managing marketing programs for the Mortgage Broker division of Citi Corporation’s business.
- Her experience also includes running her own consulting business with clients such as the Los Angeles Dodgers, New York Yankees, SunAmerica AIG, and Carnival Cruise Lines.
Ms. Haugh is an Eloqua, Agile and Pragmatic Marketing Certified professional, and she has a B.A. in Marketing Communications from the California State University, Fullerton.
- Ted Ray
Managing Director, Banc Home Loans
Mr. Ted Ray serves as Managing Director, Banc Home Loans for Banc of California, with responsibility for management of all residential lending channels. He has nearly 20 years of experience in all facets of mortgage lending from originating, processing, underwriting and funding loans.
- Mr. Ray was Executive Vice President at Pacific Mercantile Bank where he oversaw the residential lending division including its retail, wholesale and consumer direct channels.
He has held senior level positions at several mortgage companies including Peoples Choice Home Loans and Ames Home Loans. As an entrepreneur, Mr. Ray owned Onyx Financial Inc. and grew First Choice Funding Group from 1 employee to 130 employees in 3 years.
- Mr. Ray received a B.A. degree in Business Management from Redlands University. He is the father of three daughters and enjoys watching college football and basketball.
- Heather Endresen
Managing Director, SBA Lending
Ms. Heather Endresen is Managing Director, SBA Lending for the Banc of California. She oversees a team of business development officers focused on increasing lending to small businesses through the SBA as well as conventional loan programs.
- Ms. Endresen has over 20 years of experience as an SBA lender, having begun her career working for Frontier Bank in Orange County where she led the SBA lending department. Later she joined the former Glendale Federal Bank where she helped launch the SBA group, which was ranked the fastest growing SBA lender in the nation during its first year.
Citibank later acquired Glendale Federal where she became national director of SBA lending. Most recently, Ms. Endresen was
- Senior Vice President, Manager of SBA and Government Lending for Union Bank.
She attended the Stonier School of Banking in Delaware. Ms. Endresen has two children and enjoys riding horses and participating in the equestrian sport of dressage with her daughter. She also spends time raising funds for the Leukemia Lymphoma society to find a cure for leukemia/ lymphoma as her son is a cancer survivor.
- Nick Zappia
Managing Director, Business Banking
Mr. Nick Zappia is Managing Director, Business Banking for Banc of California with responsibility for growing the bank's commercial client base. He is focused on developing programs and services for high net worth advisors, individuals, and their businesses.
- Mr. Zappia joined Mellon First Business Bank in 2006 as a Regional Vice President in the bank's headquarters office in Downtown Los Angeles. He managed a team of 10 bankers and was responsible for risk management and profitability within the bank's Commercial Banking office.
In 1994, he joined Merrill Lynch's Business Financial Services Group as a Finance Manager with responsibility for providing financial services to Merrill Lynch's privately
- held businesses. Mr. Zappia began his banking career at Union Bank of California in 1986 where he successfully completed the bank's management program.
Mr. Zappia is married with four children. He enjoys spending his free time as an avid golfer and youth softball coach.
- David A. Normandin, CLP
Managing Director, Commercial Finance Group
Mr. David A. Normandin is Managing Director, Commercial Finance Group at Banc of California. Mr. Normandin’s career in commercial finance spans almost 20 years and has included experience in sales, marketing and operations.
At Banc of California, Mr. Normandin is responsible for a finance division specializing in commercial leases and loans to businesses with annual revenues of $250,000 to $20 million. He earned his Certified Leasing Professional (CLP)
- designation in 2010 and serves as President of the CLP Foundation. Mr. Normandin also serves as the Treasurer for the National Equipment Finance Association and is an active member of the Small Ticket Steering Counsel for the Equipment Leasing and Finance Association. He also speaks regularly at conferences throughout the nation regarding small business lending.
Prior to joining the bank, Mr. Normandin was president of Black Dog Consulting Solutions. The firm specialized in the areas of organizational development, sales and marketing, operational efficiency, communication and training.
- Mr. Normandin has held positions as senior partner at Envision Capital Group LLC, a commercial equipment leasing and financing company, and also Vice President, Sales at Balboa Capital Corp., one of the largest privately held commercial lenders in the United States.
Mr. Normandin’s hobbies include skiing, sailing, snorkeling and spending time with his family. He and his wife, Sheri, have a son and daughter. He is a graduate of San Diego State University where he received a B.S. degree in Business Administration.
- Rosemary Kotanjian
VP, Office of the President
Ms. Rosemary Kotanjian oversees the Office of the President for the Banc of California. She is responsible for VIP client referrals and the management of ongoing client relationships. Working closely with the business units to create programs and processes, she provides a superior level of customer service to all relationships of the bank.
- Prior to joining Banc of California, she was the Vice President, Consumer Product Strategy Manager for Bank of America, where she was responsible for implementation and day-to-day management of multi-channel strategy for the Mortgage Loan Servicing division.
With 15 years of experience in bank operations, mortgage operations, change management, and customer relations, Ms. Kotanjian’s prior positions include Assistant Vice President, IT-Contact Center for
- American Home Mortgage Servicing, Inc. and Manager, IT Contact Center at Option One Mortgage Corporation. Ms. Kotanjian studied Business Management at American University. In her spare time, she enjoys Tae Kwon Do, cooking, volunteering with Ararat Home of Los Angeles, Inc. and spending time with her husband and two children.
- Anjanette Valenta
SVP, Human Resources
Ms. Anjanette Valenta is SVP, Human Resources at the Banc of California. She is responsible for the strategic direction of all aspects of the Human Resource function including compensation, benefits, talent acquisition, workforce planning and employee development.
Ms. Valenta has over 15 years of experience overseeing HR functions, implementing best practices and managing organizational transitions at emerging and high growth companies.
- Prior to Banc of California, Ms. Valenta served as Senior Vice President of Human Resources with Argent Mortgage Company, where she helped facilitate the company’s growth from 500 to over 4,000 employees nationwide. Her efforts included the development of a national advertising platform that won a creative excellence award from the Employment Management Association, and nomination for Orange County Business Journal’s Women in Business Award. Ms. Valenta has also provided independent consulting services to local entrepreneurs to align human resources strategies with their growing businesses.
- Ms. Valenta has demonstrated her commitment to her field as a certified Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) and a member of the Society for Human Resources Management. She graduated Cum Laude from the University of California, Irvine, with a B.A. in Psychology and Social Behaviors and a minor degree in Management. She completed her Executive Education at Stanford Graduate School of Business.
Ms. Valenta participates in a variety of local community outreach programs and provides mentorship as a registered volunteer with the Girl Scouts of Orange County. She enjoys camping, hiking, and traveling with her family.
- Gary Alexander
SVP, Bank Chief Appraiser
Mr. Gary Alexander is SVP, Bank Chief Appraiser for the Banc of California. His responsibilities include oversight of the commercial and residential appraisal operations as well as the environmental due diligence operations. He also monitors real estate market trends for the credit and lending operations.
Prior to joining Banc of California, Mr. Alexander worked at Cushman & Wakefield as a Managing Director in the firm’s
- appraisal management group and a member of the firm’s National Quality Control Committee. During his time there, Mr. Alexander created and co-edited the Quality Quarterly, an internally published educational newsletter for C&W appraisers.
With more than 25 years of experience in real estate appraisal, review, consultation and management, Mr. Alexander’s prior positions have included Vice President/Commercial Chief Appraiser at Fremont Investment & Loan, Vice President/Southwest U.S. Manager at Washington Mutual Bank, and Senior Real Estate Analyst at Redlands Federal Bank.
- Mr. Alexander has been awarded the MAI designation from the Appraisal Institute and the MRICS designation from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Business Administration from California State University, Fullerton. He is married with two children and in his spare time, he enjoys playing golf with his son.
- Dennis Hughes
Compliance Manager, Residential Lending
Mr. Dennis Hughes is Residential Lending Compliance Manager for the Banc of California. In this role, he assists Banc Home Loans in all areas of compliance-related activities providing guidance on existing regulations and upcoming regulatory changes that impact the bank’s business. In addition, he works with bank
- and regulatory partners to ensure the company continues originating loans in the most effective and compliant manner.
Prior to joining Banc of California, he served as Vice President and Mortgage Compliance Officer at Pacific Mercantile Bank helping to ensure compliance with existing, new, and revised mortgage laws and regulations.
With more than 25 years of experience, Mr. Hughes has also held positions with Kinecta Federal Credit Union, Lucre International Corporation, Clayton Services, the Bohan Group and Principal Financial Group.
- Mr. Hughes, a United States Air Force veteran who served with NATO forces in Southwest Asia, returned to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in American Social History from California State University, Chico. He is married with three adult children.
- Reza Bourbour
SVP, Project Mangement
Mr. Reza Bourbour is responsible for Project, Program and Portfolio Management (PPPM) practice at the Banc of California. He leads the day-to-day management of the Enterprise Program Management Office which focuses on strategic initiatives that support the bank’s mergers and acquisitions and long-term plans.
- He began his career in the UK where he managed technology implementations for some of Europe’s largest banks, financial services and law firms. Previous to joining Banc of California, Mr. Bourbour was a Senior Manager in the Program and Portfolio Management practice at PwC in which he provided business architecture consulting services to Fortune 500 companies.
Mr. Bourbour is an avid proponent of project management best practice and holds the Project Management Professional
- (PMP) certification and the European PRINCE2 certification. He holds a Bachelor of Engineering degree from Queen Mary College as well as a Master of Science degree in Information Systems and Technology from City University. He earned his MBA from the University of Surrey and Masters in Accounting and Financial Management degree from Keller Graduate School of Management.
Mr. Bourbour is married with two children. He is a private pilot and enjoys following professional soccer games.
- James Shirreffs
Secondary Marketing Senior Manager
Mr. James Shirreffs is a Secondary Marketing Senior Manager for the Banc of California. He is responsible for the oversight of residential loan sales and pricing and the management of the interest rate risk associated with those loans.
- Prior to joining Banc of California in 2013, Mr. Shirreffs was Senior Vice President for OneWest Bank. His work focused on all Secondary Marketing activity including oversight of pipeline hedging, residential loan pricing, loan trading, settlement & delivery, and GSE and MI relations.
With 18 years of banking experience in loan trading, hedging, and settlement and delivery, Mr. Shirreffs’ prior positions also
- include First Vice President for Indy Mac Bank and Manager/Head Trader for Downey Savings and Loan.
Mr. Shirreffs received a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration. He is an avid skier and enjoys outdoor activities with his wife and two daughters.